Judging from my previous, very wimpy post, you’ve probably figured out that my living room is almost all finished, my bathroom is well on its way to being finished, and the kitchen granite countertops have been installed, and most of the electrical is all done. Now on to some more detail for each of those rooms. To keep from posting a 2000+ word post all at once, I decided to chop this entry up into 4 portions (that I all wrote today, 2/27/10) that will be automatically be rolled out over the next week. Starting with my living area today, my bathroom tile on Monday, the concrete countertop for my bathroom on Tuesday, the kitchen and its granite countertops on Wednesday, and all the electrical on Thursday. As more stuff gets accomplished throughout this week I’ll make sure those posts include the most current stuff.
So onto my living room/family room!
Jerry finished the 6 x 24″ tile in the main portion of my living room just over a week ago. You’ll have to wait to see what it looks like completely finished and grouted because we made the decision to cover it up with rosin paper until everything is completed. Seems there is plenty of construction dust floating around, and it’s a big floor to wash, and well… I think Jerry got tired of washing my floor, even if he is awfully good at it!
The best I can do to show off the family room is a photo you may have already seen from way back on February 6th. At this point it’s mostly laid, and still not grouted.
You can also see the beginnings of the trim work. I had the hardest/most impossible time figuring out what I wanted to go with for trim. Everyone seemed to think that the bright white used in the rest of the house would stand out best against the tequila lime walls, but I was dead set on using stained wood. We looked at all sorts of different stains, a dark walnut, mahogany, early American, natural, white… I seesawed from color to color not being able to make up my mind for a good part of the week until I can’t remember who it was, Jerry or Mike, took one of the trim boards from the kitchen cabinets and placed it against the window and instantly we were all… THAT’S IT!
So $36 worth of shipping later (crazy, ridiculous, hazardous materials shipping charge) and I was the proud owner of 2 quarts of Paparika stain/toner and Mike was in for the arduous task of staining several hundred feet of board. And what a job! Sand the boards, condition the wood, stain the wood, seal the wood, sand the sealed wood, tone the wood, polyurethane the toned wood. I’m surprised he’s still talking to me!
The next big thing was to finish the decorative trusses. We decided to use 1 x 5″ pine lumber on the bottom and 1 x 7″ pine lumber on the sides. Can you believe that boxing these decorative trusses in took more than 300 feet of lumber!
Look at that! The electricians are busy at work hanging the ceiling fans and chipping in to give Mike a hand.
Pretty extraordinary job, eh! They really transformed my room into a special place! And know what’s even better, they got rid of the echo and made my stereo sound a whole lot better when I crank it up! AWESOME!